SPACE periodically organizes interactions with eminent scientists, astronomers, and visiting astronauts to give SPAsCE-associated students an opportunity to interact with them.
Recent interactions include a fireside chat with Captain Sunita Williams hosted by SPACE CMD Sachin Bahmba which was brought exclusively to SPACE-associated schools. SPACE-associated school students have also met with luminaries in the science world including Dr.Holdren, Assistant to US President Obama; Dr. Kumar Krishen, NASA scientist; Astronauts Mary Allen Weber and Joan Higginbothem, Dr.DipankarBannerjee, a scientist for ‘Aditya’ mission, Dr. Jay Pasachoff, Eclipse scientist and Dr. Robert Nemiroff, Director of the site ‘Astronomy Picture of the Day’ among others.
Description of Activity
SPACE creates a forum for students to meet with these eminent personalities in close surroundings and, hear about experiences in the newest research and the life stories of these distinguished guests. They ask questions and experience first-hand the excitement of space exploration.
Learning Outcomes and Benefits to Schools
It’s a great opportunity for students to meet such eminent people. Schools also get the privilege of hosting and meeting with high-profile names in these fields, brought by SPACE as exclusive opportunities to associated schools.
Online Interaction with Dr. Gianluca Masi, Director, Virtual Telescope Project, Italy on 30 Jan, 2018
We are pleased to share that an online interaction has been scheduled withDr. Gianluca Masi, Director, Virtual Telescope Project (part of Bellatrix Astronomical Observatory), Italy. Dr. Masi is a very well known Astronomy figure, and we are excited to have him interact with our students. The Hangout will be on January 30th from 12:00 pm to 1 pm (IST)
Watch the hangout live on YouTube at
He started his interest in astronomy at childhood, later becoming a professional astronomer, earning a PhD in astronomy in 2006. At the same time, he devoted a lot of efforts to science communication, on the international stage.
His professional interests include asteroids and comets, variable stars and extrasolar planets, with many contributions in all those fields. He was able to determine the date thatVincent van Gogh painted Starry Night Over the Rhone by studying the star placement.
In 2006 he started the Virtual Telescope project (part of Bellatrix Astronomical Observatory), consisting in several robotic telescopes, remotely available in real-time over the Internet. Through this system, real time, online observing sessions are performed, sharing the universe with the world. More than 1,000,000 individuals each year observe the sky through the Virtual Telescope.
He received a number of prizes and acknowledgements for his scientific activities.
For more Information about Dr. Masi & Virtual Telescope project: Click here
SPACE has brought many exciting interactions with luminaries in Astronomy and space science to our schools. Recent ones include:<>
- In December 21, 2017, SPACE Conducted online interaction with India – Greece Interaction Eratosthenes Activity on Winter Solstice, St. Thomas School, Dwarka and Ellinogermaniki Agogi, Greece on Eratosthenes Activity on Winter Solstice, Click here to view
- In September 28, 2017, SPACE Conducted online interaction with Mr. Sachin Bahmbha, SPACE INDIA on TED-X Talk, Click here to view
- In August 21, 2017, SPACE Conducted online interaction with Mr. Sachin Bahmbha, SPACE INDIA on TSE Expedition from US, Click here to view
- In August 10, 2017, SPACE Conducted online interaction with Dr. Padma Y Fisher, Space Science Institutes, California on The total Solar Eclipse 2017, Click here to view
- In August 3, 2017, SPACE Conducted online interaction with Dr. John C. Mather, Observational Cosmology Laboratory, NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center on History of Universe from beginning to the end, Click here to view
- In July 26, 2017, SPACE Conducted online interaction with Dr. Kartik Kumar, Co-Founder & CEO of satsearch.co on Journey to Mars, Click here to view
- In May 4, 2017, SPACE Conducted online interaction with Dr. Lika (Madhulika) Guhathakurta, Heliophysics Science Division-NASA on Solar Astronomy, Click here to view
- In April 26, 2017, SPACE Conducted online interaction with Dr. Amitava Sengupta, National Physical Laboratory on From Sundials to Atomic Clocks, Click here to view
- In April 10, 2017, SPACE Conducted online interaction with Dr. David Dubois, LATMOS, Paris, France, and the JPL-NASA on Giant Planets of the Solar System, Click here to view
- In October 17, 2016, SPACE Conducted online interaction with Dr. Jason Held, Saber Astronautics on Remote Sensing and Satellite Communications, Click here to view
- In October 25, 2016, SPACE Conducted online interaction with Dr. Paul A. Rosen, NASA-JPL on Applications of NISAR Remote Sensing and Satellite Communications, Click here to view
- In February 26, 2016, SPACE Conducted online interaction with Captain Sunita Williams, NASA on Captain Sunita Williams, In Conversation with Sachin Bahmba, Click here to view
- In 2016, SPACE hosted a fireside chat with Capt. Sunita Williams, exclusively for associated schools.
- In 2015, Dr. Holdren, Assistant to US President Obama shared his views on Indo-US science relationships with students
- In 2014, Dr. Kumar Krishen, NASA Scientist shared his experiences.
- In 2011, SPACE hosted distinguished Solar Eclipse Conference where eclipse scientists from over the world attended.